“Jewelry has the power to be the one little thing that makes you feel unique.” –Elizabeth Taylor
We have all heard about fine jewelry and fashion jewelry but do we know what differentiates the two? Jewelry, after all, is an integral aspect of fashion. They not only are a part of your style statement but become a part of who you are, representing your unique personality. Yes, accessorizing with an eye-catching pair of earrings or a chunky necklace can amp up any dull outfit. You can either buy ear wire earrings or ear studs that would complement your outfit. But, picking the right piece of trinket can be a tricky task.
This blog is a mini guide to help you differentiate between fine and fashion jewelry.
What is Fine Jewelry?
The term ‘fine jewelry’ is used to describe any jewelry that is made from precious metals like gold, silver, or platinum. Fine jewelry uses authentic gemstones such as diamonds, sapphires, rubies, or emeralds, which makes fine jewelry durable. Hence, fine jewelry can be donned every day.
Fine Jewelry: Pros and Cons
- Fine jewelry is known for its premium quality
- They are durable
- They are a great heirlooms
- Fine jewelry is often expensive
What is Fashion Jewelry?
Contrary to fine jewelry, the term fashion jewelry is used to refer to jewelry that is not made from precious metals. Often known as ‘costume jewelry’, fashion jewelry is made from base metals like brass, copper, aluminum, textiles or leather, and other base metals that are plated with precious metals. Often the gemstones studded on fashion jewelry are always simulated, for example, plastic, glass, or crystal.
Fashion Jewelry: Pros and Cons
- Fashion jewelry is affordable compared to fine jewelry
- It is easily replaceable
- Perfect for casual wear
- Fashion jewelries are susceptible to breakage or tarnishing
- They do not last a lifetime if worn
- Fashion jewelry can discolor the skin
- The outer layer of these jewelries easily wear off with time
Fine Jewelry vs. Fashion Jewelry
- Fine jewelry is designed to last for a lifetime and can last for generations. Hence, when these jewelries break, a professional goldsmith can easily repair it which is not the case for non-precious metals.
- Fine jewelry retains its value in the future and usually become family heirlooms that are passed down for generations. On the other hand, fashion jewelry does not have a resale value and is hence less likely to become a family heirloom.
If you are planning to buy finding jewelry online in the USA, you are in the right place. Purity Beads Purity Inc. is a fast-growing metal beads and semi-precious stones wholesaler in the United States. We are based out of Charlotte, North Caroline, and we source our products from India. Therefore, if you are looking for wholesale jewelry supplies, browse through our extensive range of inventory and pick the right piece for you at a competitive price.